What Do Frogs Eat?
So what do frogs eat? Frogs will eat flies, crickets, spiders, beetles, grasshoppers, all sorts of insects and if there happens to be a smaller frog to hand, it will probably eat that too. They will also eat small invertebrates, ants and forest mites.
- The Cane toad will eat almost anything! It will quite happily eat small vertebrates and even dog food! In Australia, mammals and marsupials like the pygmy possum have made a good meal for a hungry Cane toad.
- Again, the Cane toad gets a very bad reputation amongst bee keepers as they tend to attack beehives (make a beeline for it in fact) and will devour huge amounts of bees. The Cane toad really does not help itself in trying to better its reputation!
If you intend keeping frogs as pets they will need a healthy diet - one that is nutritious and well-balanced. It is also very important that the right size of food and amount of food is given to your frog at the right time.
When a frog is in the water, it is highly sensitive to movement around it, and this movement stimulates feeding, and so it is better that the prey offered to the frog (and other amphibians) is live.
- The terrestrial amphibian's tongue is sticky and is located at the front of it's mouth, and so it is able to shoot it's tongue out quickly to catch it's prey on the sticky tongue.
- Tree frogs and other amphibians stalk their prey and actively seek it. Other frogs will use their camouflage skills and lay in wait undetected until their unsuspecting prey passes their way and then strike!
What Do Frogs Eat...
Live insects and dead insects can be bought from your local petshop
- You can also feed your frog spiders, beetles and grasshoppers. It is really important that you give your frog or other amphibian food that has not been sprayed with insecticides.
- Feeding times will obviously vary from species to species - a nocturnal species would probably enjoy something to eat when it wakes - nothing like a good breakfast to set you up for the day!
Depending on the size of the species will indicate how often it should be fed. A small species will require probably daily feeding, a medium-sized species will require feeding maybe three or four times a week and a large species less than that.
frog home page
What do frogs eat